Summer is the time when all our hard work starts bearing fruit (literally). It is the time to enjoy our gardens, and to enjoy those flowers, fruits and vegetables. But there is still a lot to be done. Here are some of the summer tasks that need to be done:
- Weed, weed, weed. It isn’t just flowers and vegetables taking advantage of the heat and long days
- Deadhead spent flowers to encourage new flowers
- Make sure tall or climbing flowers and vegetables are adequately staked and protected as they grow.
- Water when necessary, especially container plants, but water wisely
- Keep an eye out for pests and diseases, and stay ahead of them!
- Prune summer blooming shrubs
- Plant autumn flowering bulbs
- Paint wooden garden objects
- Start collecting seeds