Get ready for our community celebration of all things edible at our 8th annual Incredible Edibles Plant Sale! This is our chance to educate the public on growing their own food, help to get lush organic veggie, fruit and herb starts into their hands, plus earn some money to support our mission.
Saturday, May 11th
10:00 am to 3:00 pm
(Setup Friday, May 10th, 12 – 6 pm)
Westminster Presbyterian Church
1624 NE Hancock St.
(2 blocks north of Broadway between 16th and 17th Ave.)
We’ve make the plant order and the IE Plant Sale Plant Description List is now on our web site for your planning pleasure. We have over 270 varieties of veggies, fruits, and herbs on order with about 30 new this year varieties. Check out the complete 2019 plant list so you make your shopping list and remember volunteers get Early Bird shopping privileges!
Speaking of volunteers, I’m collecting names and making team assignments now. I’m recruiting for many of the teams, but some of the teams are organizing their own efforts. If you are available and want to work on one or more of the IE teams, just shoot me an email at mcmg.IEChair@gmail.com, and I’ll get you in contact with this year’s team leads.
We have a number of teams and tasks that will need volunteer help:
1) Advertising Distribution - Placing posters with local stores, and posting announcements to Next Door. (Done during April)
2) Customer Service - Helping the public with purchases of plants (Sat. 10 - 3)
3) Entrance Greeter - Handing out boxes, counting customers, and monitoring the entrance gate (Sat. 8 - 3)
4) Event Signage - Putting up lawn signs in your and your neighbor's lawns. (2 weeks before sale)
5) Kid's Tent - Manage kids and parents at kid's garden activity education table. (Sat. 9 - 3)
6) Plant Check - Storing pre-purchased plants for later pickup and helping customers move them onto the Tally area tables. I also need some co-leads for this team. (Sat. 8:30 - 2)
7) Plant Pickup - Storing purchased plants and helping customers load their cars. (Sat. 8:30 - 3)
8) Plant Restock - Restocking sale area, marking varieties signs with sold-out times, and consolidating the remaining plants to fewer tables. (Sat. 8:30 - 3)
9) Tally - Provide the sales receipt needed for purchase processing by cashiers. (8:30 - 3)
For those who want a few more hours and like to keep active, there are the setup teams:
10) Friday Setup - Helping setup canopies, signage, tables, chairs, and security fencing. (Fri. 12 - 6)
11) Saturday Morning Setup - Help unload the plant trucks, and distribute the flats to the proper areas. (Sat. 6 - 8)
12) Saturday Takedown - Removing unused tables, taking down canopies, signage, fencing, and helping load rental trucks. (Sat. 2 – 5)
It’s good for us to have an idea of how many returning folks will be volunteering for which teams before I start recruiting from the new trainees during the Resource Fair week, March 12 – 15th. Also you don’t have to be a Master Gardener to volunteer (only the clinic has that requirement.) I did it several years before I formally took the training.
Our event will be festive fun with great food, lively music, activities for the kids and a very educational speaker program. Grab your friends and family! Don’t miss it!